sexta-feira, 12 de agosto de 2011

Difference betwen used to and would

Difference betwen USED TO x WOULD

Uma maneira de falar de hábitos que tínhamos, mas que não temos mais, em inglês é usar o verbo "used to".

Affirmative form

1) I used to be a bit chubby when I was a teenager, but I'm more in shape now. (Eu costumava ser um pouco gordinha quando adolescente,mas agora estou mais em forma.)

My family used to spend their summer vacations in Recife. Now they go to different places. (Minha família costumava passar todas as férias de verão em Recife. Agora eles vão para outros lugares.)

Negative form

I didn't use to watch TV series much, but now I'm addicted to them! (Eu não costumava assistir muitos seriados de TV, mas agora sou viciada neles!)

Notem que após o 'used to' usamos o verbo no infinitivo (to be, to spend, to watch, etc.)

Correto: "I used to have two dogs." (Eu costumava ter dois cachorros.)

Incorreto: *"I would have two dogs."* Neste caso, fica parecendo uma oração condicional - would have [done] - teria feito algo, se....

Interrogative Form

Did you used to walk you dog when you were a teenager?

WOULD

And that "would" talking about past is usually followed by a frequency adverb like "always" "never" , every day, etc.

Affirmative form

I would spend my days in the street when I was a teen.

My mom would always cook wathever fish we caught

We would spend every day together in the summer

Interrogative Form

Would you always have lunch in front of the TV?

Negative form

"Otherwise, I wouldn't be here."

Or even using both:

I used to be a quiet guy, I would never speak in public.

And even with the verb to be:

That girl used to be very hot, I would be always nervous around her

Nenhum comentário: